Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Vowel Ladder Game

Here is a free game I created for my students to practice reading and identifying words with short and long vowels. To play, students share a game board, and each student chooses a ladder (1 will take the short vowel ladder and 1 will take the long vowel ladder) and places his/her marker at the bottom. The kids then shuffle the word cards (or picture cards for your lower kids) and take turns choosing a card and reading the word aloud. Then, if the word has a short vowel sound in the middle, the person with the short vowel ladder gets to move his/her marker up one rung. If the word has a long vowel sound, the person with the long vowel ladder gets to move his/her marker up a rung. The partner who makes it to the top first is the winner! You could also have the students write the word on the ladder rungs or on a separate piece of paper if you want your students to have the writing practice too. Click the link below the pictures to download, and let me know if you have any questions! If you are able to use this activity, feel free to leave me some feedback - thanks so much! :-)




http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Free-Vowel-Ladder-Game Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I pretty much LOVE this! It's perfect for a couple of my struggling readers! Thank you!!

    Oh My Little Classity Class

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog! I am your newest follower. Thanks for the freebies. They are great!

    Lisa
    fsuteach81@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips